Friday 23 September 2005

Tom Waits is da man

Many people who know me well know that I am a huge Tom Waits fan. Anyway, this post is not about his music (although I could dedicate many large posts to that topic).

The guy is simply a legend. Not only is he a brilliantly unique musician and songwriter, he's also incredibly witty (you only have to hear his live album Nighthawks at the diner to see this side of his personality). He has also dabbled in acting as well, with roles in the Jim Jarmusch movies Down By Law and Coffee & Cigarettes as well as countless others. I have yet to see Down By Law, but his role in Coffee & Cigarettes (where he chats with Iggy Pop) is simply brilliant.

Despite his obvious talent, it's this article which I read this morning which really sums up the guy. He absolutely, positively, without a doubt refuses to sell out. But it's the way that he chases after and beats the bad guys who try to tarnish his name that elevates him to the epitome of cool.

I think I'll go listen to Rain dogs now.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree - Tom Waits to a damn talented guy, and cool to boot.
    You must watch Down By Law Jiggy - Waits is great in that.

    McBean (who can't remember his password)

    ReplyDelete

Sing some harmonies here: