Saturday 24 February 2007

iPod war - Some Meat Pete

In case you missed it, Pete finally contributed his bit to the war in the comments of the previous post. Just to draw attention to it, I thought I would copy his songs (and comments) as a new post. I have some things to say which I will add to the comments of this post in due course.

----

Alright, at long last, here's my attack (sorry for not having it as a new post):

1. The Mamas & The Papas - California Dreaming

First up, it's not looking good. To be honest, I didn't even know this was on the iPod, but I must have liked it somewhere along the line.

2. Oasis - Alive

A B-side from Jiggy, don't even really know the track. I'm beginning to feel like Napoleon invading Russia...

3. Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - Biomusicology

Might need an aspirin after this one.

4. Jebediah - Star Machine

Forgettable song from their patchy sophomore effort. Kev Mitchell is certainly producing far more worthy material these days.

5. Something for Kate - The Killing Moon

A decent cover of the classic Bunnymen tune, but nothing extraordinary.

6. Belle & Sebastian - Night Walk

From their disastrous "Storytelling" soundtrack. Not anywhere near as bad as the film, though.

7. The Go-Betweens - Spring Rain

Finally, something with a bit of iPod-war firepower! Opening cut from the great "Liberty Belle..." album.

8. Manic Street Preachers - ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart

Probably the most ridiculously titled song of all time, coupled with incorrect usage of an apostrophe. Not a bad cut, though, from a top album.

9. Split Enz - Bon Voyage

David Stratton writing in the Australia described it as "utterly shithouse."

10. The Go-Betweens - Finding You

The live version from their 2005 dvd/cd release, "That Striped Sunlight Sound." Nice track, but here's further evidence for the major flaw in the iPod shuffle, namely that particular artists seem to crop up early time and time again. Oh well, could be worse, could have been Travis or Nik Kershaw.

So there you go. I wholeheartedly surrender, and leave you wondering whether it was worth the wait. Clearly not. Looking forward to the next war, hopefully I'll fair a bit better! Thanks guys.

4 comments:

  1. Pete, this is a war you can't win. :)

    I *like* the Mommas & Papas BTW (though it'd still lose to Already Gone!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This war is over, and as Cold Chisel once sang, Ain't nobody gonna steal this [iPod war] away (okay, a bit of artistic license was used here)...so I'm not going to do a track-by-track comparison here.

    Instead, I'd like to comment on a few of your tracks:

    California dreamin' is a great track - I agree with Matt that the M&P's are good...and yes that song is daggy but what a song! I find it amusing that you didn't even know this song was on your iPod, reminds me a little bit of your "accidental" selection of a Shania Twain song on a jukebox many years ago... :)

    I don't even know that Oasis song Alive...it's on a CD which I burnt a while back from downloaded songs and I haven't listened to it for ages...

    Biomusicology is a great track, and an extremely catchy opener to The tyranny of distance. Yes, it could be considered kind've loud(ish).

    Spring rain is a great GB's song...and a great opener to Liberty Belle...

    And yes, Bon voyage may be a daggy Tim Finn Split Enz number, but it's still Split Enz, and it's still good stuff. I think you were a bit harsh here Pete...and this is coming from someone who only recently picked up Conflicting emotions so it's not even the nostalgia talking here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm...sorry Pete, I can't even give you a victory in any of the categories...

    I don't mind a bit of California Dreaming, although wouldnt consider myself a huge M & P fan...

    If you want to redeem yourself with a new challenge, I am up for it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accept that many will disagree with my appraisals, particularly in relation to M&P, but Bon Voyage is pure garbage.

    ReplyDelete

Sing some harmonies here: